Thank you for your interest in mentoring with Fleet Feet Sports Poughkeepsie. We are a passionate group of individuals who love to help people reach their walking and running goals.
What is a Mentor?
A Mentor is an invaluable resource to our training program participants and an "on the road" representative of Fleet Feet Sports Poughkeepsie. Mentors attend group workouts throughout a training program to provide support. Their main responsibilities include:
- Offering positive energy and a positive attitude to the group
- Promoting safety and providing support during workouts
- Keeping an assigned approximate pace or interval while walking or running
- Running alongside participants and making sure everyone is accounted for
- Educating participants about the benefits, products, and solutions that Fleet Feet Sports offers
- Calling on their past personal experiences to provide knowledge, advice, and general tips when it comes to training and living healthy
What are the Mentor requirements?
To be a mentor, you must be able to adhere to the following:
- Is not currently in-training for a specific goal or is willing to do their own training separate from the group workouts
- Can motivate and inspire others in a positive manner
- Has run or walked at least 2 races
- Must be able to attend 85% of all twice-weekly training workouts
- Will relay critical information, suggestions and concerns to the Head Coach
- Can maintain a desired pace or has access to GPS watch for pace guidance
- Is a “people person” and has a desire to help others achieve their goals
- Willing to be a Fleet Feet Sports Poughkeepsie store ambassador
- Willing to work with the Head Coach to ensure a successful program
- Warm fuzzy feeling from knowing that you made a difference in someone's running and/or walking
- Free entry into program (including all of the benefits that the participants receive)
- Free exclusive Fleet Feet Running Club track jacket ($90 value)
- A free exclusive "2018 Mentor" patch that can be displayed on track jacket if desired
- Free team training shirt
- Free personalized ROAD ID silicone stretch bracelet
- Other product perks and benefits
- 20% in-store discount throughout the duration of training (for personal use only)
If you believe you would be an excellent mentor for a Fleet Feet Sports training group, please fill out the form below.
All mentors will be required to complete mentor training, regardless of whether they have mentored before or not. The Mentor Training is a one hour session designed to enhance the Fleet Feet Sports Training Programs for both our volunteers and our participants. The mentor training will be by application only and it will be free to selected participants. Our next mentor training sessions will be on Thursday 3/1 at 7pm and Sunday, 3/11 at 4pm.
Please review the information above regarding requirements and benefits before filling out the application.
All applications will be carefully reviewed and you will be notified shortly of its acceptance. Please note that completion of the mentor training does not automatically place you within a training group this season. We will evaluate the best fits possible for our coaches and current or upcoming training groups and reach out to each applicant individually.